Types Of Insurance Included In Membership
Because no matter how careful you are, accidents happen, and you can be sued by anyone who claims injury or damages resulting from your activities. You may not be liable, but you will need to be defended in court. A liability policy will pay for this defence as well as any costs awarded against you. In short, liability insurance gives you peace of mind. The policy will pay those sums that the insured becomes legally obligated to pay as compensatory damages because of bodily injury to or damage to property of others such as participants, spectators, the property of lessors, and others resulting from your operations only. Coverage includes your participants’ liability.
ACCIDENTAL DEATH & DISMEMBERMENT
AD&D insurance helps to ensure protection for a member and their family in the event of an accident that results in death or serious injury. The benefit amount that is paid will depend upon the type of injury. The more serious the injury or accident, the greater the payment will be. AD&D coverage is one more informed way to help ensure financial protection is available for registered participants and their loved ones.
EXCESS ACCIDENT MEDICAL (OPTIONAL BUY UP)
Within the FIVE provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island every player who is fully registered (i.e. purchased a membership and paid all associated member dues) is eligible to receive Excess Accidental Medical Coverage within the respective policy years (May 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021 for AB, MB, NS, PE and August 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021 for BC) through the National Insurance Program when an injury occurs in a sanctioned event or practice in the sport of rugby.
Coverage extends to covering the following benefits in excess of your government health care for accidental related injuries:
- Private Duty Nursing by a licensed Graduate nurse, who does not ordinarily reside in the insured person’s home or is not a member of his/her immediate family. $50.00/hr, $5,000 maximum.
- Transportation recommended by a legally qualified physician or surgeon, transportation costs, when such service is provided by a professional ambulance service of the nearest approved hospital which is equipped to provide the required and recommended necessary treatment. $5,000 maximum for Ground Ambulance, $25,000 maximum for Air Ambulance
- Hospital Charges for the difference between the Public Ward Allowance under the insureds Provincial or Territorial health plan and accommodation for a semi-private hospital room. $5,000 maximum.
- Rental of Wheelchair, iron lung and other durable equipment for therapeutic treatment, not to exceed the purchase price prevailing at the time the rental became necessary
- Drugs and medicines prescribed by a physician or surgeon (except in the Province of Quebec)
- Miscellaneous expenses such as hearing aids, crutches, splints, casts, trusses and braces, but excluding replacement thereof
- Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy, Certified Athletic Therapy, Chiropractor, maximum $300 per person per year
- $1,500 Accidental Dental Benefit
Cost per Member
- Minors $2.55
- Seniors $5.95
For an individual club, where the province does not have coverage, wishes to purchase Excess Accident Medical please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brochures for 2020 extended medical coverage, for those provinces that offer this benefit, will be available soon.
Registered participants of member organizations who receive sanctioning from their Provincial Union and Rugby Canada will receive worldwide Emergency Travel Medical coverage up to $1,000,000 per Insured Member per trip. The coverage provides protection for medical emergencies due to accidents or sickness, which occur on approved, sanctioned tours and events outside the participant’s country/province of residence.
Expenses covered included emergency hospital and doctors’ visits (inpatient/outpatient), x-ray & diagnosis, and emergency evacuation etc. Coverage acts as the second payor to GHIP (Government Health Insurance Plan) and would respond in the event of a medical emergency situation due to accident or sickness.