What is Sanctioning?
In administering and managing rugby as a sport, ‘sanctioning’ is an approvals process to ensure that activities related to rugby such as training, games, tournaments, and touring remain in compliance with ALL the regulations and by-laws of Rugby Canada, Provincial Union and World Rugby.
Insurance coverage may be extended, subject to the insurer’s specific conditions, ONLY when a rugby scenario has been examined and is found to be fully in compliance with all the regulations and bye-laws of both World Rugby and Rugby Canada.
Sanctioning should be viewed as a quality control process to ensure activities such as training, games, tournaments, and touring remain compliant with all regulations and bye-laws. Whilst insurance is of itself a necessary step in compliance with World Rugby’s Regulation No. 23, it will only be offered when all other regulations and bye-laws have been complied with, and subject to any terms imposed by the insurer.
Once you have submitted your application a copy will be automatically forwarded to your Provincial Union for review. Provincial Union Administration has the authority to approve or deny all / any applications. Once approval has been granted, Rugby Canada will then conduct a final review.
Upon approval from Rugby Canada, you will be given a sanctioning number which will be attached to your printable Sanctioning Certificate (details below). You will also be forwarded a Certificate of Insurance for your tour, along with a Rugby Canada Tour Letter. For more information regarding coverage for your tour please visit our insurance page.
Please ensure that rosters are submitted to email@example.com no later than 24 hours post event. To Access your Sanctioning Certificate:
- Ensure that you are logged into http://members.rugbycanada.ca/
- Click on your username (top left corner) and a dropdown menu will appear.
- Click on Registrations -> Click on the application you submitted.
- In the top right hand corner you will be able to download your Sanctioning Certificate.
* Please note that your certificate is not valid unless it has a certificate number in the top right-hand corner, this will be automatically added once it has been approved by your Provincial Union and Rugby Canada.